Little things mean a lot

The Sun sets early in late November. Tonight as Pete finished doing dishes, and I sat at the keyboard considering the day and life we live, I heard "As you ready?" Lost in my own world of thinking what story might like to split itself onto the page I forget what I'm supposed to be ready to do. Sunset. Time to chant Ke Au i Ne Ka La, Good night Sun

Through the edge of the forest looking west from the porch of the vardo, orange sky marks Ka La's descent. Pete faced the Sun and I stood on the porch. We began to oli. 

The simple ritual has become a thing. With daily practice we get better at pronunciation, and the meaning behind the words finds places within us. Individually and as a family the ending of a day is witnessed. 

When I was part of a different family, witnessing the Sun setting was already a thing. From the high bank overlooking Puget Sound (I did not know to call that water "The Salish Sea") my son, his father and I would watch the Sun set and the sky change color.

Same, or different 

The family

The sun

Is same.

I've loved this song forever. This is a young, and fresh version (with Mahalo ukulele lol). 


Life can get crazy goofy, or small and amazing. 

Thank you:

Pete for the small and amazing ways you use your hands. Ah, ha.

Hopi for your generous heart, your surprising laugh.

Luna for your energy and playfulness.

Carter for your example.

CKB for your example.

Maleka for your example.

RB for the start, and the homemade ice creams, and Christopher.

For Cedar for your roots.

Alder for your spotted skin.

For Lono for your example.

For Ka La for your light.

For Hina for your pace.

For the Muliwai for being there.

For Kawika for reaching out.

For Jen for the tee shirts. 

For Peggy thanks for airing us often, and Lou knew his stoves.

Donnette thanks for learning to ZOOM.

Joan and Lana, Taurus and Aries together keep us warm and lit.

Terri, for keeping, and passing the friendship drum (and those red rubber boots).

Eko you Zen us in your unique way.

Glenda longevity and laughter live well in you.

Molly I will long remember what 1000 dimes means.

Dikka your hats your thoughtfulness have made our day, again and again and again.

Rosie B. Tigers Rule. Rrrr!

Lynette for reminding me what Aquarius can be.

Satori thanks for doughnuts of star wisdom.

Elaine for being the friendship and love.

Maile world citizen are U.

Kekuhi and Leahi. Oh oh oli!!

Vardo for Two. You feel like home to me.

Blogger. What a canoe. Love it even with your warts.

Honua. Our island Earth Home. Thanks for everything!

Gravity. Wow, I'm speechless.



I know I've missed others. E kala mai. It's time to check on the game hens and veggies roasting in our big ass oven. We are so thankful for them (the hens and veg and oven) and even more thankful for the people and the places that make this life amazing.

Thanks every one for all the giving we receive!! Little things mean a lot.

xo Moki


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Memories

2021 filled with living puzzle pieces and slip knots

E Lono E: a chant to animate the waters of life